Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the PokerCrack Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Chip Poker

Bovada bonus

Thread: AK on bubble

Question AK on bubble

2 table tournament, five of us left. I've got around 1800, and the other stacks are approximately 6000, 2000, 800, and 300.
    Top 4 places pay.

Big stack is in the SB, small stack is in the BB, with the blinds at 50/100. UTG folds, and I find AKo and make my standard raise to 250. I've been playing tight, so this is usually enough to pick up the blinds, or get 1 caller. I'm hoping the BB will find a hand to throw his last few chips in on.

The button folds, but the SB reraises to 500. BB folds, and it's back on me. What should I do here? The SB has been very loose and aggressive with his big stack, so there's a good chance I'm ahead here. On the other hand, the small stack has surrendered his blind, and can't survive the next round of blinds. The only decent player at the table (besides myself) is the second shortest stack.

What would you do -- fold, call, or move in?

I would reraise all in. Hes likely to be making a move on you because he knows you dont want to bust in 5th.

i agree w/ TheUncle...he may fold, and you've picked up a good pot...you're probably ahead and could double up, and be in much better position to take 1st or 2nd place, rather than the last position. Same thing happened to me today, in a 120 person tourny online...we were on the bubble at 21 people, 20 playing...i was like 18th place, got AK on the cutoff seat, guy raised in front of me 3x, i went all in...by golly he called...i hit my K and doubled up...but misplayed AA several hands later, limping in with them with a few other limpers, thinking someone behind me would raise it up, then i could all in...big mistake...5 limpers...flop came Kxx, guy hit his K8, i then went all in over the top of him, and he hit his 8 on the turn...just unlucky i guess, but better to win a medium pot than to get 86'd in 18th place. LIve and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUncle View Post
    I would reraise all in. Hes likely to be making a move on you because he knows you dont want to bust in 5th.
    This did cross my mind (and I definitely didn't want to bust in 5th). I think the fact that it was a min raise made me feel he was serious about the hand, rather than making a move. My mind was telling me I was ahead in pure value, and to raise all-in, but my gut was telling me not to go out in a coin flip. It was a tough decision, but my gut won out in the end, and I layed it down.

Both of the small stacks busted out shortly thereafter, and after being blinded down a little, I doubled up a couple times, and was even chip leader at one point. I eventually took second.

No shame in the way you played it either.