Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the PokerCrack Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Chip Poker

Bovada bonus

Exclamation Very interesting JJ hand - Pokerstars SnG

Playing a $30 SnG on Stars, a very interesting hand came up about 15 minutes into the tournament. With blinds at 15/30, I had worked my 1500 stack up to about 1650. Sitting in the BB, I catch the JJ. At a full table, it is folded to CO+1 who calls. Button and SB come along as well. I raise it to 150. Only SB calls. He has me covered by a bit and I don't have any particular reads on him.

FLOP: (2 players) 975 (Pot: $360)

SB checks, and I bet the $360. He smooth calls. (What could he have here? Hmm...)

TURN: (2 players) J (Pot: $1080)

SB checks again. I move in for 1140. He instantly calls.

What do you make of my play here, regardless of what SB has? I think my PF and flop play are pretty standard, but I'm not convinced that my turn all-in is the best possible move there. My reasoning here is that I can't give a free card in case he holds a single heart, and if I throw out a half-pot sized bet I will be committed on the river and end up dumping the rest off. I thought if he hit the flush I would rather move in now since I at least have 10 outs to give me a chance, whereas if a blank falls on the river I would be putting in my chips with no chance to win the hand. Additionally, his smooth call on the flop meant that he could have possibly hit a set. If that was the case, this was the perfect place to get all the money in. However, his passive flop play does indicate that there is a good chance he is on a draw, and the J completed just about any draw. I do know a lot of people wll check there when they make the draw and wait for the aggressor to bet.

So...thoughts on my play? And does anyone want to stab at what my opponent had? I ended up winning the hand but of course he could have had just about anything.

PokerCents
    I think I wouldve checked behind him at the turn. Theres a good chance had the flush draw and now hit his flush. Why not check and hope to fill up? if he has the flush, hes going to bet fairly big at the river and you can raise him all in.
    If you dont fill up, you can decide if you want to call or not based on how much he bets. I dont think I would want to bet my whole SNG this early, based on whether or not I believed he really had the flush.

If he had a set, youre going to get him all in at the river anyway since he wont believe YOU have the flush (unless a 4th heart hits)

I think you want to use your position to your advantage here.

Of course what you say makes sense, but let's take the flop side - what if he has one heart? Don't you want to protect your hand so he doesn't complete his flush? What are your thoughts on that?