Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the PokerCrack Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Chip Poker

Bovada bonus

Question Setting a stop loss

Any of you guys do this? If so, what are your criteria?

I find that if I start out a day/session really bad I tend to continue down that road. Sure, it could be running bad but I think the more likely answer is subtle tilt. My results graphs lately go up up up, then one day I will drop like 2-3 days worth of winnings...rinse and repeat. Bottom line: my bad days are worse than my good days are good. I'm still winning overall but I think its killing my results.

I was thinking maybe using 2 buyins/session up to 4 buyins a day as a stop loss for when I play NL400. When I play NL200 I would probably go 3/session or 6/day. I typically play 2-3 sessions a day and play 750-1500 hands/session. I average about 2K hands/day that I play.

PokerCents
    I guess it depends on the games you play and your style. If you play a very LAG game at the NL100-NL400, especially HU or shorthanded then 2 buyins is nothing; 5 or 6 seems more realistic. If you face a bad opponent who gets lucky a few times you don't want to leave because of your overly tight rule.

On the other hand, I don't know when and to what extent dropping 3 buyins bothers you. If it does, then it's probably better to draw the line one buyin before you get frustrated.

I play a TAG game at 5 or 6 handed tables. I think you are correct in saying stop before I get frustrated, but I just wanted to see what others did.

When I stop feeling the pain of additional losses, or the enjoyment of additional gains, it's time to get off and take a break for a while.

If things are going badly, I quit, and don't get back on until I'm 100% sure I have my emotions under control and I'm not craving action. When jumping back online the same day as a big losing session, I also take the time to make 100% sure that the tables I'm joining are as juicy as possible. If there aren't enough tables that look good, I'll usually just take the rest of the day off.

My good days are almost always much better than my bad days are bad ... so this works for me. Your mileage may vary and all that.

PokerCents
    I would like to stop before I get frustrated but unfortunately that often happens after about 6 hands.

It also matters whether you lose a buyin due to a really bad beat, or a cooler like set over set; I tend not to get upset about those (just annoyed). I do take a break if I lose two stacks due to dubious calls or otherwise marginal decisions (because it may indicate that I'm not sensing the game dynamics properly). I definitely take a break if I am worried that I'm getting outplayed in big pots.

In any case, some people say they take a 5 minute break whenever they lose a buyin. If that helps you refresh your mind and refocus on your game plan again then that's a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    Any of you guys do this? If so, what are your criteria?
    It depends on how much money I have in my account . When I loose 10% I stop playing poker in that day. If I have 100$, I stop playing when I loose 10 $