PDA

View Full Version : New Car, New Dash Cam

RichardBens14
07-05-2023, 09:36 AM
Hello,

Bought a new Infiniti 2020 Q50 Red Sport last September and drove it a month, it's been sitting in storage since October and planning to take it out soon so want to equip it with a new dash cam. My current G37 is currently running a Street Guardian SG9665GC V2 for the front and a Street Guardian SGZC12RC 2016 v2 in the rear. I've been out of this for a while so not up to date on the new tech and quality improvements

Looking for:
Best Day and Nighttime performance (want to capture US plates)
WiFi/Bluetooth connections to phone or car (car has built in hotspot)
2K 4K - have no idea on the impact
High Bitrate - not sure either
Cloud - is there a monthly fee?
GPS will probably not use (don't want to run the extra wires)
Parking monitor - not sure if I would use (the stock car battery in the Q50 is pretty weak)
Non interference with onboard car computers (read some people had interference issues that traced back to the dash cam)
Price less than $700 but can go to $1,000
Also my front and rear have LLumar FormulaOne window tint not sure if that matters, did not seem to matter on the old SG's
Was thinking about BlackVue DR900X 2Ch and Thinkware U1000 2Ch just because they are the most expensive, probably not the best thinking but gotta start somewhere...
Is there a better alternative than the two? Is one better than the other?

Thanks in advance!

VesyMesca
07-05-2023, 12:26 PM
"want to capture US plates"" - then you need a dual system as US cars often only have one plate, so if it is in the back and the car are oncoming, you will only get a shot at its plate on your rear camera.
- wifi are pretty common in dashcams today, but mainly for doing settings and maybe DL a single file now and then, the transfer speeds are still low VS the memory card in a food card reader.
- 1440p and 4K cameras lack a little in night time performance due to smaller individual pixels, 4K on the other hand shine in daylight, best low light sensors are still 1080p ones, IMX291 are popular.
- Bitrates are still modest in dashcams, so in scenes with a lot extra for the camera to process like trees lining road / light filtering thru / shadows on road, will challenge any camera VS a nice open highway across the prairie.
- Some have minimal cloud for free as i recall, anything usable and you have to pay.
- GPS are often in the mount, otherwise the 1 wire from the camer to a upper corner on windscreen are the easiest of all wires to deal with in a dashcam, should take 30 seconds to install.
- Parking guard require a hard wire kit with a build in low voltage cut off ( some 12 V cameras have this cut off in the camera itself ) i use parking guard on F&R camera with 1 hour timer cut off, this cover all my shopping, and go easy on the small battery in my equally small car.

careocerebro
07-05-2023, 12:31 PM
Congrats on your new Infiniti Q50 Red Sport! Getting a dash cam is a smart move for added security and peace of mind. I'm no expert, but I've heard good things about the BlackVue DR900X 2Ch and Thinkware U1000 2Ch. They seem to offer the features you're looking for.
However, it's always worth exploring other options too. I've personally found that doing some research and reading customer reviews can be helpful in finding the right dash cam. You might discover alternatives that offer similar or even better performance within your budget.
By the way, I was just wondering how you did with finding the right car. I recently found one I like, but it's located in another state. So, I've been considering using a car shipping service like A1 Auto Transport (https://www.a1autotransport.com/ (https://www.a1autotransport.com)) to get it delivered hassle-free.