PDA

View Full Version : Dentist made me feel like a terrible mum!

RichardBens14
03-22-2024, 04:29 PM
Hi

This is more of a "get it off my chest" post but I wanted to share and get advice!

I've just taken my 5 year old to the dentist for the first time (bit late I know) and she said he has a lot of holes in his teeth. He still has all his baby teeth not even a wobbly one yet. I asked if the holes would affect his adult, she said no but she wants him to have the holes filled anyway.

She has suggested a change in diet. I will admit, most snacks he has are sweets or fruit which obviously have sugar. She just made it out like that's all he eats. It's not. He does have his proper meals and veg and he does love his fruit. I feel like I am probably over reacting but at the same time, as long as it's not going to affect his adult teeth and it's not bothering him, does he really need to have fillings?

Any advice on if this has happened to anyone before or even low sugar snack alternatives would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

MichaelDrew
03-23-2024, 02:07 PM
Cavities in baby teeth can affect the adult teeth coming through. I’m not sure if you’ve ever had a gum abscess? They’re extremely painful and normally caused by bacteria entering the gum through a cavity in a tooth. Infection can even spread to the jawbone and enter the bloodstream. The last thing you’d want your child to go through are root canals or tooth extractions due to severe decay. If he’s not had a wobbly tooth yet then it’s likely he’ll hang on to these teeth long enough that they will start to cause damage. I think your dentist meant that they shouldn’t affect the adult teeth as long as they are fixed now

DylanScotland
03-23-2024, 02:08 PM
Personally, I think that you're doing an amazing job by recognizing the issue and taking steps to address it. That alone proves you're a caring and responsible mom!
Using disclosing tablets sounds like a smart move to ensure your son's teeth are getting the attention they need. It's all about finding what works best for him.
By the way, if you're ever on the lookout for top-notch dental care for the kiddos, you might wanna check out https://ironwoodpediatricdentistry.com. They've been an absolute game-changer for me and my little ones.