PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Guide to Texas Hold'em Poker

Werave
09-22-2012, 08:31 AM
:diamond::heart::spade::club::diamond::heart::spad e::club:

By Jeff "Ace of Spades"

This article was submitted by Jeff as part of this site's call out for articles. I (MJ) thought that Jeff wrote a very detailed texas hold'em guide that covered many aspects of texas hold'em, often beyond the beginner level, so I hope this article was very valuable to any players reading this. If you have any comments about the article, please post in the forum and Jeff or I will try to respond to your questions. Occasionally, I have also added my own comments into Jeff's article, which you will see in brackets.

It is my goal to describe a solid profitable approach to limit texas hold'em with an emphasis on the importance of position. This strategy will outline the strategy of limit texas hold'em primarily based on probability and odds and give recommendations for the most profitable plays. It is geared towards relatively low limit games against somewhat loose players. Some playing recommendations might not be correct for the tougher games usually found at higher limit, but the odds presented here are no different.

The concepts discussed here describe a general approach to correct play, but texas hold'em is a situational game, and you the player will have to make decisions based on the specific situations that you find yourself in. You must adapt your strategy to the texture of each game. There are few universal rules in texas hold'em, most concepts are situational and depend on the type of game you find yourself in and the players you play against. You must learn to play solid profitable poker first, and then learn to deviate from this type of play when the situation calls for it. Poker is about people, and the more carefully you observe your opponents, the better prepared you will be to make the best decisions in any situation.

You have the opportunity to gather a lot of information about the players at your table as soon as you sit down. You want to pay attention to which players are constantly in the pot (loose players) and which players rarely get involved (tight). You will want to pay careful attention to what cards they show down, and go back through each hand and think about how they played it. You want to know what hands they raise with preflop, what kinds of hands they bet and whether they bet their draws, if they make bad calls, if they bluff and how often. You want to soak up every piece of information you can about your opponents, because that information defines the situation for which you must adapt a strategy when you get involved in a pot with them.

There is one universal principle for winning at hold'em. You put your money in when it is profitable, and you DON'T when it's not. This important concept goes for all types of poker games, but is best illustrated by an all-in bet in no limit hold'em. When you put all your chips in the middle, you want to do it in a spot that you will win more often than you will lose. If you could make the same exact bet a million times in a row, you will win (profit) over the long run if it is in fact a profitable bet. That is a mathematically profitable bet, and that is what we will be talking about here, applied to limit hold'em. You want to apply a statistical advantage over and over again at the poker table. If you consistently make profitable bets in poker, you will consistently win in the long run. Solid poker strategy will usually provide you with the most profitable spots to get your money in, and careful analysis of your opponent's play will help guide you in your critical decisions.

Whenever there is chance involved, you will not always win because you made the best play, in fact, you will often lose when you should have won, but in the long run, your profitable bets will eventually pay off. The important thing is not to let short-term bad luck affect your decision-making and lead to poor (unprofitable) play. Every good player has losing nights, but if you allow misfortune to affect your play, you will undoubtedly lose more and more often.

AUTHOR: Jeff "Ace of Spades"
LEECHED: http://www.tightpoker.com/texasholdem/poker_guide.html

:diamond::heart::spade::club::diamond::heart::spad e::club:

KolTas
09-22-2012, 08:35 AM
Really nice guide,thanks for sahring this with us, i readed all this articale with big joy, good job that you entered from where you leeched it :)

Werave
09-22-2012, 12:29 PM
If anyone have questions about Texas Hold`em poker, please write here or private message function.

In text i have bold primary things.

SandieL
09-24-2012, 12:25 PM
This is really helpfull, thanks!

Werave
09-24-2012, 02:21 PM
If anyone need help with Texas Hold`em poker, try to search more info in leeched site.

TemPs
09-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Thx for guide :)

bitspirit
09-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Very informative read, this jeff guy knows his stuff haha hopefully this will help people to get better in the future.