PDA

View Full Version : Calling a shortstack

daneo68
11-06-2011, 01:05 PM
I have been playing ring games for about 6 months and have worked up to the NL100. I recently saw a play on a NL100 game that I considered a good play. As I am fairly new to online play, I would like some opinions on this play.

10 players were at the table blinds were .50 and $1.00. After the blinds were posted utg +1 limps, next guy, who had a total of 8.25, goes all in pre-flop and the cutoff player calls. Everyone else folds including utg + 1. The flop come up 9:spade:10:spade:Q:club: turn and river are smaller unsuited cards. cutoffs cards turn up and he has Q:heart:10:heart:. Short stack goes nuts and says he can't believe cutoff player called him pre-flop with those cards. I thought it was a good call due to short stack players style of play, and I felt the short stack player was just trying to steal the blinds. *note: cutoff was chip leader and had just come off a 100.00 win the hand before.* short stack players cards muck so don't know what he had.

realboy
11-07-2011, 04:00 AM
I personally wouldnt have called the all in with Q:heart:10:heart:, but Ive seen lots of guys do it. They figure its "only $8". These $8's can add up over time though. He also had to worry about the blinds and the limper, who may have had a hand that they wanted to call with.
I would fold, but I dont think its anything for the short stack to get worked up about. Thats what he gets for playing a shortstack in the first place.

TheUncle
11-15-2011, 06:52 PM
I fold. The only reason I would want to play Q10s at all is for a shot at a sizable stack. This seems like a nobrainer to me.