PDA

View Full Version : EV: I've read the article but...

Sentinel
11-11-2011, 04:18 AM
Hi,

Surfing this forum, I found a good article on EV in content section, but it still isn't clear.

As far as I can tell, EV is basically odds - or implied/reverse implied odds. Therefore outpricing that flush draw is correct. And if the guy is so hung up on his draw rhat he'd call your big bet, then he's also going to call any lesser bets (that would make your EV better)

And how come I haven't heard anyone (pros/books/commentators) discuss EV before now? Is it a new concept? I've read a number of books, watch the advice shows & tournys etc but haven't heard it before.

PokerCodieEs87
11-11-2011, 05:24 AM
what is EV? I'm trying to understand your post :)

Sentinel
11-11-2011, 05:46 AM
what is EV? I'm trying to understand your post :)

Please read: http://pokercrack.com/content/129-Calculating-poker-EV

PokerCodieEs87
11-15-2011, 05:24 AM
ahh.... really?

realboy
12-04-2011, 05:13 AM
The entire concept of poker theory is pretty much based solely on EV.

Every book, pro and commentator discusses EV all the time, just usually not directly quoting it as such.

EV is the fabric that poker is made of. Without EV, there would be no poker.

I would seriously suggest getting some of Sklansky's Books, LIke Theory Of Poker, and other books like such. I see that TheUncle started to share them here: http://pokercrack.com/forums/23-Poker-Books-Videos-VODs-and-Software

EV is not odds. Odds are Odds. EV is the expected average return from an action (Expected Value). EV can be applied to anything. If you step in front of a bus, your EV is -1 Life. EV is the sum of the possible results from any action.

Werave
09-08-2012, 12:13 PM
I would suggest you take a practice in the beginning is to play Freerolls or just facebook, this way you will have more knowledge, and of course more practice playing for real.

KolTas
09-10-2012, 08:10 PM
You need some practise playing in free rool games or just play "Zynga" poker in Facebook.