Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the PokerCrack Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Chip Poker

Bovada bonus

Is my electrician wrong?

My electrician can't be fired, so getting a second opinion is out of the question.
    I got my house 2 years ago, since then various strange electrical issues have occurred. The battery in my thermostat exploded, my microwave and washer were both damaged because of power surges, the chandelier only flickers when the stove is on, I've been shocked by a light switch turning it on and sometimes the dimmers get so hot it'll burn if you touch the little screw on the plate cover.
    None of these issues make any sense, so it leads me to believe the problem is the panel.
    We have a detached shed in the backyard that has power ran to it. You can see where it goes into the house right where the master bedroom is, the complete opposite side of the house from the panel.
    I suggested to the electrician that I think the power that goes to the shed is on the same circuit as the bedroom, he told me there's no way it's like that and I'm definitely wrong because it's not supposed to be like that. I also said I think the lights are on circuits with the plugs, he also said I was definitely wrong about that.
    Well I was right about both, he figured that out yesterday.
    The panel was one of those FPE panels, I know because the old panel box says FPE on it. At some point, the panel was installed outside on the other side of the wall from where it used to be, now it has GE breakers and a panel box that doesn't match and is not rated to be outside. It's important to note that they sold rebuild kits for the FPE panels that were sold and distributed in the area I live around the time this house was built, which included GE breakers and adapters so you could put GE breakers on these horrible dangerous panels.
    I voiced my concerns numerous times, but he says I'm wrong and the panel's fine even though he hasn't tested it.
    I'm getting a bit impatient, because I know these things are very dangerous but I can't do anything about it because I'm just a girl I have 2 boobs and 1 brain and it's not smart for me to go poking around in there. But I want to know if there's anything I can do to help him see there's a problem? I just really don't think I'm overreacting or overthinking this because nothing that has happened is normal at all... I'd be happy to just stay in the kitchen, but my oven doesn't even work half the time so he can't expect me to not be concerned. I can't even bake a full size pie ): help

For your own health and safety.....you need another electrician to do an inspection. Sounds like you have a lot of serious problems.

Consider documenting all the strange occurrences and sharing them with the electrician to highlight the seriousness of the situation. Also, try to learn about basic electrical safety measures to make sure you're taking the necessary precautions. If you still feel uneasy, don't hesitate to seek advice from other professionals, like the commercial electrician Ottawa I use. Their help can help you sort this out and bring you peace of mind. Good luck!