Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the PokerCrack Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Chip Poker

Bovada bonus

Kids birthday party magic

Hi guys,

I am relatively new to magic. I have bought a few things from this site and mostly do card tricks, but I thought the best way to be able to actually get to perform for others would be for kids. Plus I like kids.

Are there any good books, DVDs or tricks that would be good for building routines for kids? And where to get these things? Too much close up I feel would bore a group of kids. Also I live in northern New England so there are no magic shops to go visit or ask about this kind of stuff. Also I am on a relative budget as I have a wedding coming up. I can't spend hundreds of dollars at least to start.

Thank you so much for your anticipated help!

-Justin

About 20 years ago, I became interested in performing for children. For many years prior to that I performed mainly at events for adults and wasn't interested in performing for the kids. I am so happy I broadened my horizons. At that time, I purchased a video by Trevor Lewis ("Trevor Lewis on Children's Magic"). It had several very nice routines, including a "safety trick" version of the professor's nightmare (the 3-rope trick) called "Stop, Look and Listen," an ingenious routine that I perform every chance I get to this very day. The parents love it too! Trevor understands what kids like.

For building routines, you might want to check out books like "The Klutz Book of Magic" or "Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic." These usually have simple, engaging tricks that work well for children and won't break the bank.
    As for where to get them, online retailers like Amazon or eBay are great options, and they often have used items at lower prices. Since you're in northern New England without access to magic shops, online shopping might be your best bet.
    And hey, if you ever need help planning a party, I've had good experiences with event rentals & services. They've been a lifesaver for me in the past. Check out their website at sizzleyourevents.com for more info.